GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — Federico “Kiko” Cruz, who was convicted of the brutal 1996 murder and decapitation of 17-year-old David Crawford, has been granted parole, sparking controversy and mixed reactions from the community.
Cruz, who was 16 years old at the time of the crime, murdered Crawford near Sparta, Michigan, in April 1996. After killing his victim, Cruz horrifically decapitated him and filmed himself mutilating the head. The video, which was so disturbing it was never shown to the jury during his trial, left a lasting scar on the community and those who witnessed the aftermath.
As a result of his crime, Cruz was originally sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole. However, a 2016 ruling by the U.S. Supreme Court determined that juveniles convicted of serious crimes must be given the opportunity for resentencing, acknowledging that minors have a greater potential for rehabilitation. In 2018, Cruz was resentenced to life in prison. But a subsequent appeals court ruling found that his rights had been violated during that process. This led to another resentencing in August 2023, where Cruz was given a new range of 35 to 60 years behind bars, with a projected parole date of March 25, 2025.
Cruz has already served approximately 27 years in prison, which played a role in the decision to grant him parole. While some community members have expressed support for Cruz’s release, others have voiced strong objections, questioning the fairness of the decision. Jason Sagraves, a former neighbor who was 12 years old at the time of the crime, recalled the chilling video that he says still haunts him. “I saw some stuff in that situation that still sticks with me. You can’t mentally heal from that,” Sagraves said. He expressed disbelief upon learning that Cruz had been granted parole, describing the decision as a “kick in the gut.” Sagraves added that it is difficult to reconcile the fact that Cruz is receiving a second chance, while Crawford will never have one. In contrast, some individuals who lived through the events surrounding the crime have taken a more forgiving stance.
Todd Yemc, who was around 30 years old at the time, stated that while he acknowledged the severity of the crime, he believed Cruz deserved a chance at redemption. “We all made stupid mistakes when we were kids, you know. This one is hard to take, but he, you know, definitely can be forgiven, I believe,” Yemc said. As Cruz’s projected parole date approaches, many in the community continue to struggle with the implications of the decision. While some view it as a step toward rehabilitation, others, like Sagraves, remain unconvinced, questioning how the justice system could allow such a violent offender to reenter society. “For what he did and how he did it, I don’t know how anybody in the justice system can look at that and say, ‘He is redeemed. He’s okay to go back in the public,’” Sagraves said.
The decision to grant parole to Cruz has prompted broader discussions about the balance between justice, rehabilitation, and public safety, particularly when it comes to juvenile offenders.
As the community grapples with the aftermath of this decision, Cruz’s release remains a deeply divisive issue, with no easy answers on either side.